If you are craving sugar but don’t want to eat something that derails your healthy eating habits, this is for you! It’s refined sugar-free and gluten-free. Also, you need just six ingredients; they are a breeze to put together.
Ingredients (Serves 12)
4 medium-size red apples
2 tbsp coconut sugar
2 cup oat
1 tsp coconut oil
– Preheat the oven to 170C
– Wash the apples and then peel, slice them
– Place the apples in a pan, add 2 cup boiling water and cinnamon
– Gently simmer for 15 minutes (until soft)
– Drain the apples and then mash
– Place the apple puree in the fridge for half an hour
– Combine the chilled apple puree, oat, coconut oil, egg and coconut sugar, then mix all ingredients until dough ball forms
– Form 12 cookies and bake until golden brown (They will stay soft but hold together well.)
Note 1: I used flaked almonds as the topping. You can use whatever you want; desiccated coconut, walnut, hazelnut etc.
Note 2: Oat doesn’t contain gluten by nature, but they can be processed with gluten-containing products together. If you shouldn’t consume gluten, please read the package first.
Note 3: Coconut sugar is not an empty calorie like regular refined sugar. It includes “small” amounts of nutrients and has a lower glycemic index than sugar. This is what we know about it. It’s good to keep in mind; consuming too much of any sugar may affect our health badly.
I hope you try and like apple cookies. If you make these, let me know how they turn out in the comments below!