This recipe is adapted from the original lemon&poppy seed cake. I was so excited to try my own version and actually made it better with my favourite; coconut! It doesn’t include any refined-sugar, so it’s absolutely better than the store-bought ones. If you want to eat a healthy and yummy cake with your coffee, I strongly recommend you to try this one!
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
20 tbsp water
60 ml almond milk
85 gr almond flour
85 gr coconut flour
1 tbsp poppy seed
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
Lemon zest and lemon juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- First of all, you need to get a date paste. Put the 12 dates in a bowl with very hot water and let them sit for 1 hour. After 1 hour, put all the dates into a food processor, and add 20 tbsp of water they were soaking in. And then your date paste is ready!
- Preheat your oven to 170 C.
- Melt the coconut oil.
- Mix the date puree and 4 eggs in a large bowl and whisk them together until the mixture becomes thick and fluffy.
- Add all the liquid ingredients and mix them with a spatula. (If you use a kitchen mixer, your cake doesn’t rise. Please mix it gently with a spatula.)
- Add all the dry ingredients and mix them with a spatula again.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 mins.
- Leave to cool for 20-30 mins.
- Sprinkle coconut and/or lemon zest before serving.